Why This Recipe Works, Based on the Cooks at America’s Check Kitchen:
Swordfish has a strong style all its personal and wishes costarring components with simply as a lot oomph. We determined to place the smoky taste of the grill to work, threading swordfish items onto skewers and pairing them with a Sicilian-inspired grilled caponata – a saucy mixture of eggplant and tomatoes with a sweet-and-sour profile.
As a base for the caponata, we grilled eggplant, cherry tomatoes, lemons and scallions alongside the swordfish and added an fragrant mix of heat spices for a potent sauce to enhance the fish. As soon as grilled, the lemons remodeled from tart and acidic to candy and wealthy. Rubbing the swordfish with a little bit of floor coriander, salt and pepper added complexity and offered taste that popped with the tomato, scallions, and a closing sprinkling of contemporary basil. If swordfish is not out there, you possibly can substitute halibut. You’ll need six 12-inch steel skewers for this recipe.
Serves 4 to six
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- 11/2 tablespoons honey.
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus 2 lemons, halved.
- 5 teaspoons floor coriander.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon floor cinnamon.
- 1/8 teaspoon floor nutmeg.
- 11/2 kilos skinless swordfish steaks, 1¼ to 1½ inches thick, lower into 11/4-inch items.
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes.
- 1 small eggplant (12 ounces), lower crosswise on bias into 1/2-inch-thick ovals.
- 6 scallions, trimmed.
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped.
- 2 tablespoons chopped contemporary basil.
1. Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, honey, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons coriander, garlic, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg collectively in massive bowl. Microwave, stirring sometimes, till aromatic, about 1 minute; put aside.
2. Pat swordfish dry with paper towels, rub with remaining 1 tablespoon coriander, and season with salt and pepper. Thread fish onto three 12-inch steel skewers. Thread tomatoes onto three 12-inch steel skewers. Brush swordfish, tomatoes, eggplant and scallions with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
3A. For a charcoal grill: Open backside vent fully. Gentle massive chimney starter full of charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When prime coals are partially coated with ash, pour evenly over grill. Set cooking grate in place, cowl and open lid vent fully. Warmth grill till scorching, about 5 minutes.
3B. For a gasoline grill: Flip all burners to excessive, cowl and warmth grill till scorching, about quarter-hour. Go away all burners on excessive.
4. Clear cooking grate, then repeatedly brush grate with well-oiled paper towels till black and shiny, 5 to 10 instances. Place swordfish, tomatoes, eggplant, scallions and lemon halves on grill. Cook dinner (coated if utilizing gasoline), turning as wanted, till swordfish flakes aside when gently prodded with paring knife and registers 140 levels and tomatoes, eggplant, scallions and lemon halves are softened and flippantly charred, 5 to fifteen minutes. Switch gadgets to serving platter as they end grilling and tent with aluminum foil. Let swordfish relaxation whereas ending caponata.
5. As soon as lemons are cool sufficient to deal with, squeeze into fine-mesh strainer set over bowl, extracting as a lot juice as doable. Add juice to spiced oil-honey combination; whisk to mix and stir in olives.
6. Utilizing tongs, slide tomatoes off skewers onto reducing board. Chop tomatoes, eggplant and scallions coarse; switch to bowl with caponata; and gently toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper to style. Take away swordfish from skewers, sprinkle with basil and serve with caponata.